Black Cats Fall In Second-Half Horror Show

Last updated : 21 January 2014 By Tott Dixon - Seaham

Jonathyn Quinn scored a hat-trick and ended the Black Cats’ hopes in the FA Youth Cup.

Three poacher’s efforts from the Ashington-born frontman secured a comprehensive victory for Newcastle in the Under-18 derby, before strike partner Adam Armstrong put the icing on Sunderland’s humiliation to send the hosts into the fifth round.

While Sunderland had gone toe-to-toe in a scrappy opening 45 minutes, the final scoreline was as comprehensive as it suggested after an awful second half from theBlack Cats.

Ged McNamee’s side never recovered from going a goal down on the stroke of half-time and couldn’t even manage a meaningful effort on the Newcastle goal in response.

For long periods of the first half, Newcastle weren’t much more threatening.

Sunderland stopper Maksymillian Stryjek was forced into a smart save in the fifth minute after the Black Cats were careless bringing the ball out from the back.

Quinn nipped in on the edge of the Sunderland area and drove a right-footed shot across goal which was pushed away by Stryjek.

But the remainder of the half was a scrappy affair, with both sides struggling to create anything clear-cut.

The only effort on goal Sunderland could muster was a weak shot from the left-hand side of the area by Thomas Robson which was straight at goalkeeper Freddie Woodman.

But on the stroke of half-time, Newcastle got their noses in front when Rolando Aarons jinked down the left and drove a low powerful low cross into the area which was coolly helped into the far corner by Quinn.

Magpies striker Armstrong should have done better in the 54th minute when he met Quinn’s inch-perfect cross from the right, but he couldn’t make a clean contact and sent his glancing header across the face.

But moments later, Newcastle did double their advantage when Macauley Gillesphey’s cross from the right was spilled horribly by Stryjek and Quinn poked it home from cross range.

Quinn’s hat-trick arrived in the 73rd minute - and it was almost a carbon-copy of his first - as he met a low cross from the right, this time from Jamie Sterry, and curled it into the far corner.

It got even worse for Sunderland in the 82nd minute when Sunderland substitute Andrew Nelson sent a suicidal back-pass towards his own goal which went straight to the feet of Armstrong.

The striker had just Stryjek to beat and kept his cool to tuck it away low to the keeper’s left.

Armstrong almost grabbed a second in stoppage time when he span away from Ross Colquhoun and bore down on Stryjek, only for the keeper to block well with his outstretched right leg.

NEWCASTLE: Woodman, Sterry, Gillesphey (Drennan 78), Olley, McKinnon, Satka, Gilliead (Heardman 84), Kemen, Quinn (Barlser 84), Armstrong, Aarons. Subs not used: Pearson, Smith.

SUNDERLAND: Streyjek, Ledger, T Robson, E Robson (Wright 75), Colquhoun, Beadling, J Robson (Lowrie 59), Smith, Stinson (Nelson 56), Gooch, Greenwood. Subs not used: Blinco, Burke. Booked: Beadling (29), Wright (85)

Att: 3,501